There are a variety of grants and other assistance that can help local communities better prepare, plan for, and equip themselves to deal with the variety of emergencies they will face. Since many grants involve applications for federal funds and many responders are only volunteers, TRORC staff are available to help communities apply for and administer grants.

Education and Equipment

FEMA/USFA Fire Grants Information

Prevention education, bunker gear, PPE, hose, pumps and apparatus. – Open in New Window

Vermont Rural Fire Protection Task Force

Dry hydrants, small PPE grants. – Open in New Window

Department of Homeland Security

Grants to responders for communications equipment response gear related to terrorism available through the VT Homeland Security Unit (VTHSU). – Open in New Window

TUMS fire grants

Grants under $2,500 to fire departments. – Open in New Window


HMEP grants

USDOT grants through the SERC relating to transportation of hazardous materials. Email Randy Bronson at

Congressional links to all federal grants

Representative Peter Welch… – Open in New Window

Senator Patrick Leahy – Open in New Window

Senator Bernie Sanders – Open in New Window